TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Mitchell-Lama rental succession/inheritance

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Mitchell-Lama rental succession/inheritance

Postby tenantwquestions » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:25 pm

Hello everyone,

My dad has been living in a Mitchell-Lama rental for close to 20 years, I've lived with him for 4 years (2000-2004) and for the past 5+ years (2014-Present). I have taken care of the total amount of rent and utilities during these past 5 years. My dad wishes to relocate outside of the country and wants me to stay in this apartment. Below are listed some important details:

1. I have plenty of proof of having lived here for the period of times above mentioned.
2. I had provided my dad cash to pay for the rent during the first 3 1/2 years and I have money order receipts for rent paid directly to management with my name for the past year and a half.
3. Dad has never added me to the affidavit.

Questions:

1. Do I have a chance to inherit this rental?
2. What is the income requirement in order to be eligible to inherit a Mitchell-Lama rental?
3. Should my income be too high, can I still apply for inheritance of this apartment? If I don't meet the eligibility requirements, is it even worth it to put in an application? Would it potentially harm my dad's rights over this rental if my application was submitted and denied?

Thank you kindly for any information that you can share with me.
Jo
tenantwquestions

Re: Mitchell-Lama rental succession/inheritance

Postby TenantNet » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:54 pm

Even if we wanted to answer this post, the user's IP is listed on a spam database, it's located in Eastern Europe and uses a fake (disposable) email address. So the thread is locked and the user goes away. If this is a real person, come back with a real non-disposable email address and an IP address that is not known for spam activity.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments