TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Security Deposit problem after 5 years

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Security Deposit problem after 5 years

Postby rinaldfa » Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:07 pm

HI

After 5 years in my little studio with perfect relationship with the Landlord, I ask with 90 days of advice to leave my place one month prior to my lease expiration. He agree with that and I move out leaving the apt in perfect condition (and he agree on this point)

Right now is asking me to share “the pain” of not being able to lease the studio starting dec. 1 . This because of my obstruction during the last month (is blaming me of showing the apt dirty/ messy and because for one week was unable to show the apt if tough I mention him 3 month ago that the first week of Nov was a special occasion with no visit allowed).

Furthermore I discover that this guy has not opened an account for my deposit for the full 5 years but mix those funds in his personal account.

Thank you in advance for any suggestion/advice

Fabio
:confused:
rinaldfa

Re: Security Deposit problem after 5 years

Postby mjr203 » Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:14 pm

Write him a letter certified return receipt citing the letter of the law regarding security deposits -- no money comingling, interest payments, etc.

You could have a polka band playing parchese in your apartment in the last month, up to the last day -- it doesn't matter. You did not impede him from showing the apartment which he has to do with your permission and the condition of the apartment when you actually left is the only thing that matters.

You should be prepared to go to small claims court shortly. You should be suing for the amount of the security deposit + interest for 5 years. You should communicate with him in writing and start getting all your checks and info together.

LLs -- pieces of work

do not share this guy's pain

-POINTER

<small>[ December 13, 2002, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: pointerout ]</small>
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Postby rinaldfa » Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:20 pm

LLs First of all THANK YOU

just a quick note : where can I find a letter of the law regarding security deposits ?
Once again thanks
rinaldfa

Postby mjr203 » Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:22 pm

www.housingnyc.com

search for security deposits.

BTW, you should probably not put your address in your location on this site. In case your LL or someone in your blding reads it.

-POINTER
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Postby rinaldfa » Fri Dec 13, 2002 2:21 pm

Once again thank you

<small>[ December 13, 2002, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: fabio ]</small>
rinaldfa

Postby mjr203 » Fri Dec 13, 2002 5:08 pm

dude I said

"do not" publish your address here

:roll:
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Postby rinaldfa » Fri Dec 13, 2002 7:19 pm

Address clean.

I will meet LL tomorrow morning and give him the ollowing point:

the following are the 5 points to be discussed with him...you can adapt and bring a copy home

- Letter send to LL on August 25 requesting an early exit from the apt. In the letter request for disapproval in writing within 2 weeks
- No news at the death line and phone confirmation that my request has been accepted
- LL was not present, as requested and promised, on November 30 in order to receive back apt/key and give security deposit
- For the last 5 years deposit has not been keep in a ‘escrow’ account but most probably co-mingle with personal money
- Apt has give back in perfect condition and LL had three months to show apt and can NOT complain about one week of privacy (requested well in advance)

If not check will be give to me tomorrow I will start the small claim and eventually contact a laywer...how does it sound?
rinaldfa

Return to NYC General Discussion