TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Harassement/Electric/security issues

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Harassement/Electric/security issues

Postby kay333 » Tue Dec 17, 2002 5:58 pm

In an attempt to harasse me...
I have recently found out that I'm paying the electric bill for the supers apt. Con ed informed me that the wire are owned by the landlord and he is responsible. Anyone know anything about cases that in which this practice takes place?
Thanks K
kay333

Re: Harassement/Electric/security issues

Postby MikeW » Fri Dec 20, 2002 2:32 pm

Sounds like a case for small claims court
MikeW

Postby Chimera » Fri Dec 20, 2002 2:57 pm

How did you come to the conclusion that this was done to harass you? That is a strong word, this could be a mistake or a greedy super.
Chimera

Postby Zamindar » Fri Dec 20, 2002 3:11 pm

ConEd should be able to do more than just tell you that it is not their problem, you are not responsible for someone elses electricity. But I would also agree that to say this is harrassement is going a bit to far right now. Have you informed the landlord about this problem? Start there first, and calmly and professionally inform him of your concerns. If you put him on the defensive right away it could talk longer to cure the problem. and it is certainly in his interest to cure the problem and have a happy tenant, if after you talk to him and he states that he knows what is going on, and is not going to fix it then you could elevate the situation.
Zamindar

Postby Cold Hands in Queens » Sat Dec 28, 2002 4:56 pm

Keep calling ConEd and demand a separate meter reading. The landlord knows about this...I had the same situation. Demand an in-person reading from ConEd; if building mgt. refuses to let you in then they're in trouble.

I went through the same BS when I moved into my new place...he didn't want me to see my own meter...he was running all of the hallway lights off of my place, as well as the outlets that he was using to improve, uh, renovate his own place.

Good luck and keep working with ConEd. In the meantime, what the super is doing is called theft of services and a criminal offense.
Cold Hands in Queens

Return to NYC General Discussion