TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Security of Utilities

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Security of Utilities

Postby ivy » Sun Sep 08, 2002 9:36 am

I currently live in Staten Island, New York in a Rent Stabalized Building, and I just renewed a 2 year lease on September 1, 2002.

On the evening of August 7, 2002 and August 30, 2002. I arrived home from work to find my electricity turned off. I contacted Con Edison's customer service on each occasion and I was informed that my account was up-to-date and no shut-off was scheduled. I have informed my landlord of this illegal shut-off. He insists that the fault lays with my electric company (Con Edison) and myself.

The main switches are located in the basement of this apartment building. Tenants (including myself) have constantly exited the building through the basement. There is also a laundry section and an area to deposit the garbage. This area is a high traffic area that is used constantly (except in the evenings) by the various tenants in the building. It is my personal opinion that this box can be access by anyone including all tenants who do their activities in and through the basement.

The costumer service representative I spoke to on August 8, 2002 informed me that my utilities must be kept under lock and key. He also informed me that only the Con Edison staff and the building maintenance should be the only ones allow access to this equipment. I attempted to request for an inspector from Con Edison on August 8, 2002 and they refused to be involved.

That is why I am requesting your guidance on how to proceed with this situation.

Please Help Me, I am at the end of my line.. :mad:
ivy

Return to NYC General Discussion