TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

HELP! Eviction notice after first month!

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

HELP! Eviction notice after first month!

Postby lshfit » Sat Jun 08, 2002 10:32 pm

Hello-

My boyfriend and I moved into an apartment on the upper east side on may 1. I did not get approved for the lease, however he did-- and my father is the guarantor on the account.

my boyfriend was away at the time the rent was due, so i sent in a check from my checking account-- even though i wasn't supposed to-- bc i wanted the check to be there on time.

Today, he got a letter returning my check, and asking him to confirm his residence-- they want an electric bill, his license and proof of payment on electric bill-- why he didnt pay the rent, who i am and do i live in the apartment-- or they will proceed with the eviction process.

THing is, i opened the con ed bill in my name. (i always do-- we've been living together for over 2 years, i always handle the bills). We just opened a joint checking account, that he will resubmit for the rent-- and so he can respond and explain that i am his girlfriend. he has a california license, not ny. i'm so worried we will be evicted.

has this happened to anyone at all?? Does anyone have any suggestions? We wrote them a long letter explaining everything in detail, and got a letter from coned stating the electric bill has been switched to his name. i don't know what else to do at this point!

any suggestions are welcome. thank you so much.
lshfit

Re: HELP! Eviction notice after first month!

Postby Cranky Tenant » Sat Jun 08, 2002 11:56 pm

Resubmit the check with a letter explaining why you paid the rent. If you've been living with your boyfriend for two years, and your father is the guarantor for the rent, I would strongly suggest you inform the landlord you're living there and have your name added to the lease - if not as the primary tenant, at least as a roomate. It would also be a good idea to pay the rent from the joint checking acount.

Beyond that, it really isn't any of the LL's business which one of you pays the utilities bill or what state you may or may not have a drivers license. There are plenty of people in Manhattan who don't even have drivers licenses.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Return to NYC General Discussion