TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

big headache with "landlord"

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

big headache with "landlord"

Postby no lease » Thu Nov 07, 2002 11:22 am

just to preview this... I am poor. So when I found an apartment in Manhattan for $450 that was in a clean building with most things working, I grabbed it. The only thing is that - I pay in cash and have no lease. Which has not been a problem til now. I have been selected to interview for something called an 80/20 program (new building - 20% of the units have to go to low income). Now I have to provide the people who manage this program with lease (or equivallent) and rent receipts and my "landlord" says no no no. I am desperate for some advice, if anyone has any. :( [LIST]
no lease

Re: big headache with "landlord"

Postby mjr203 » Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:44 pm

LLs are required by law to provide rent receipts if they take cash for rent payments.

Your current situtation sounds vastly shady. I am not sure what you should do but certainly LLs are required by law to provide receipts for rent received in cash.
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Re: big headache with "landlord"

Postby augustyniaklisa » Thu Nov 28, 2002 3:08 am

I live in Chicago and don't have a lease and a police officer I know told me that the landlord can go into my home if there is no emergency that if she wanted to she can go in for no reason at all even if no one is home I was wondering if anyone knows if this is true.
Lisa Augustyniak
augustyniaklisa

Return to NYC General Discussion