TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Neighbors Who Throw Things Out of the Windows

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Neighbors Who Throw Things Out of the Windows

Postby mscrogers » Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:39 am

Hello to Everyone:

I livve in the Flatbush section of Brooklyn in a small apartment building. The apartment was newly renovated when I moved in a year ago, and it was obvious that the management was renovating apartments as people "moved out" and hiking up the rent, but that's another story. The upshot is there are a few apartments which are still unrenovated and one of them is occupied by a very untraditional ;) family unit (four young adult males, one older woman and two young women, not family. Their apartment is directly above mine(first floor), three stories up and we both have windows that face the back alleyway of the building. The residents of this apartment throw beer bottles out of the windows that smash in the alley. They throw garbage out that lands on my windowsills. They throw out lit cigarettes, one of which landed on my A/C. I have been telling my building management about this since I moved in, both in person and in writing and their only response has been "that's the risk you run when you live in an apartment building." My first instinct is to go upstairs and ask them to stop, but to be honest, I am a single woman who lives alone, these guys sit around and drink Old English 800 all day,and the idea of the residents of that apartment having a vendetta against me is more than I can handle. Tonight, a bottle landed on the A/C, made a god-awful thud and crashed in the alley. When tenants endanger the safety and well-being of other tenants and their property, don't the landlords have an obligation to do something about it? I would appreciate any advice on how to proceed, because my anger level is rising and I want to take some action that will be effective. Thanks so much! :cool:

Cheryl
mscrogers

Re: Neighbors Who Throw Things Out of the Windows

Postby HAJ77 » Wed Jul 24, 2002 10:50 am

Call the police. Not only is it illegal to throw items out of the window it is also dangerous. To start, I wouldn't call 911, but call the precinct directly and explain the situation. Next get a copy of the police report, and send it along with a letter explaining the situation to your landlord by certified mail. Keep it doing it until they fix the problem, they can be evicted for nuisance.
HAJ77

Postby mscrogers » Thu Jul 25, 2002 10:41 am

First of all, THANK YOU for responding to my post :D That is sound and reasonable advice. I have already taken steps to do just what you recomend along with some of the other residents in the building. We are also starting to form a tenant's association in the building to address all tenant issues. There is definately more saftey in numbers. I will be back to let you know the results!

Cheryl
mscrogers

Postby rentguy » Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:29 pm

Also, as a single woman living alone, you should politely ask the police to not divulge who brought this situation to their attention. The police should be able to handle it discretely without endangering you in any way. You can never be too safe.
rentguy

Postby mscrogers » Fri Jul 26, 2002 6:51 pm

Dear Rent Guy:

Thanks - you're absoulutely right about that. A lot of these young guys in the neighborhood would love nothing more than to have a vendetta to carry out. It would be like a summer job for them! It's even a little bit dicey trying to start a tenants association, because some of the longer term tenants get somewhat threatened. I don't want to start a class division in the building between those with higher rents and renovated apartments and older tenants who the landlord would love to kick out. We want to help anyone who is a good neighbor. Any advice on that front would be greatly appreciated. Again - many thanks :)

Cheryl
mscrogers

Return to NYC General Discussion