TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Can we make a case for too much heat?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Can we make a case for too much heat?

Postby Shara » Fri Jun 28, 2002 1:30 am

My husband and I moved into a rent-stabilized apartment almost two years ago, in Queens.

There is an encased (in the wall) pipe running up the corner of our bedroom walls, that provides heat for the building. The problem is that it gets SO hot in our bedroom that my husband and I have been forced to sleep in our study while the building heat is on (from mid-fall through late spring). Basically, the room gets so hot and dry that we were waking up every day feeling congested, dehydrated, and ill -- even when we opened our windows. While it wouldn't burn you, the wall gets uncomfortably hot to the touch, and the plaster on the wall had cracked twice from the heat. It wilts flowers and any other living thing near it.

We wrote several notes to the building super and handymen asking what could be done to remedy this problem. They told us that since the pipe was behind the wall, there was nothing that they could do to insulate the pipe or to control the heat.

However, it is ridiculous that we are paying for a bedroom that we cannot use for more than six months out of the year, without feeling sick.

Is there anything we can do to get the landlord to fix this? What steps, if any, can we take?

Please, any advice would be appreciated.
Shara

Return to NYC General Discussion