TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Return Security Deposit & COnstruction

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Return Security Deposit & COnstruction

Postby mkempner » Wed Aug 14, 2002 4:42 pm

Here's the situation, I live in a huge warehouse building and the landlord wants to fix it up with an atrium. The construction will actually cut 1 bedroom and the bathroom off of the apartment. I'm moving out anyway, but the landlord wants me to find someone to take over my room (it's a 4 bedroom - soon to be 3 bedroom) or I can't get my security deposit back (2 months rent). Normally, I could find someone no problem, but nobody wants to live in an apartment that is undergoing massive construction including the loss of a bathroom. I'm not even sure if it is going to be safe to stay in the apartment. Does anyone know what my legal rights or best options are?
mkempner

Re: Return Security Deposit & COnstruction

Postby mkempner » Wed Aug 14, 2002 5:29 pm

The lease isn't in my name. I have 3 roommates and only one of us is on the lease. There's a fairly high turnover of people in the apartment, so every new roommate usually just gives the old roommate the security deposit money.
mkempner

Re: Return Security Deposit & COnstruction

Postby rentguy » Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:11 am

Definitely don't pay the last month's rent if this isn't resolved by then (assuming that your security deposit is equal to one month's rent).
rentguy

Return to NYC General Discussion