TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Cable Company Access

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Cable Company Access

Postby Jeremy » Tue Jan 21, 2003 1:10 pm

Hi all...my landlord will not give the cable company access to basement, where they need to make repairs. Does he have any legal obligations to do so?

Would have have any recourse if I were to put Direct TV in my house. Is that his property or mine?

He also is being incredibly nasty about the whole matter.
Jeremy

Re: Cable Company Access

Postby Zamindar » Wed Jan 22, 2003 2:38 pm

The FCC regulations require that your landlord permit the cable company access to their equipment to repair it, the landlord is presumed to have given his permission once he has been notified by the cable company of their right to install and maintain their cable equipment in your apartment. You can not however use his refusal to let the cable company in as a way of getting a satalite dish. Landlords are premitted to exclude satalite dishes from any area that is not for your exclusive use, and even in theses areas they are permitted to place restrictions on how it is installed, i.e., restrictions necessary to prevent damage to leased property are permissible, as long as the restrictions are reasonable. For example, a lease restriction that forbids tenants from drilling holes through exterior walls or through the roof.

An association, landlord or local government may further impose certain restrictions when safety is a concern or where a historic site is involved. An example of a safety restriction would be installing an antenna on a fire escape. Safety restrictions may not be written so that they are more burdensome than necessary to address an articulated and legitimate safety concern.
Zamindar

Re: Cable Company Access

Postby Jeremy » Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:47 pm

Thanks for your response. He did allow them in...as a matter of fact, he was present when they installed my unit. But from your post, it seems like he is able to pull the plug on the buildings relationship with the cable company at any time.

So, essentially, it seems that I am screwed...sigh.
Jeremy

Return to NYC General Discussion