TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Access to my apt. by R.E. broker

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Access to my apt. by R.E. broker

Postby reddevilguy » Tue Sep 10, 2002 12:59 pm

Hi,

The house I live in is for sale, and the owner (who lives in California) told me her real estate broker will be showing it to prospective buyers.

My landlord implied that the broker and her clients may enter my apartment, including when I'm not home. I am the only tenant, and I live alone.

I'm not happy about multiple strange people coming in here on a regular basis when I'm not around. If I can't prevent access, is there anything anyone can recommend to limit my liability and protect me from theft, damage, etc.?

Thanks..
reddevilguy

Re: Access to my apt. by R.E. broker

Postby mjr203 » Tue Sep 10, 2002 1:51 pm

"However, in the absence of a clear emergency - such as a gas leak or water cascading through your floor into the apartment below - no one can enter your apartment without your permission."

from housingnyc.com

also

RIGHT TO PRIVACY

Tenants have the right to privacy within their apartments. A landlord, however, may enter a tenant's apartment with reasonable prior notice, and at a reasonable time: (a) to provide necessary or agreed upon repairs or services; or (b) in accordance with the lease; or (c) to show the apartment to prospective purchasers or tenants. In emergencies, such as fires, the landlord may enter the apartment without the tenant's consent. A landlord may not abuse this limited right of entry or use it to harass a tenant. A landlord may not interfere with the installation of cable televison facilities. (Public Service Law ß228) .

<small>[ September 10, 2002, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: pointerout ]</small>
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Postby Cranky Tenant » Tue Sep 10, 2002 1:57 pm

Probably the best way to handle this is to give the RE Agent specific times and days when you can be home to allow them to show the apartment. Let them know you need some advance notice so they don't show up whenever they feel like it.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby mjr203 » Tue Sep 10, 2002 10:57 pm

Originally posted by Cranky Tenant:
Probably the best way to handle this is to give the RE Agent specific times and days when you can be home to allow them to show the apartment. Let them know you need some advance notice so they don't show up whenever they feel like it.
word to motha
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Return to NYC General Discussion