TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Leaky Roof/Property Damage

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Leaky Roof/Property Damage

Postby LeakyRoof » Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:34 am

I am not sure if I am in the right place to post this, but I couldn't find another where it might be better suited.

Here's my situation. I live in a co-op building where I rent from the owner of my apartment. Over the weekend, with the heavy rains, there was extensive leaking into the apartment that has caused damage to some of my property. I had previously notified my landlord regarding the leaks in the roof/ceiling and was told that contractors would be brought in to make bids and then have the roof above the apt. repaired (I live on the top floor). The first notification from me to the landlord happened early summer and twice since then.

To make matters worse, I have an interesting month-to-month situation: I moved in with a roommate in a share and when he moved out, he just informed the landlord that I was taking over the apt, which was fine with him and I have never seen a lease (if there even is one) and I get a bill every month. (After doing some reading, I am assuming this is a month-to-month lease situation).

What are my rights (if I even have any) vs. the landlord' responsibilities (if they have any) in this situation?

Thanks.

<small>[ September 03, 2002, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: LeakyRoof ]</small>
LeakyRoof

Return to NYC General Discussion