TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

No lease and security being withheld

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

No lease and security being withheld

Postby davidsimon0579 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:39 pm

I gave a potential landlord a security deposit, but there was never a lease signed or presented. He is an attorney and mentioned something about doing a verbal lease, but it was not confirmed. After a week I realized that I could not afford the rent myself (my potential roomate did not want to do it). I let my potential landlord know and he said he would return my money. He never did and now I am six months into this situation. Any advice?
davidsimon0579

Re: No lease and security being withheld

Postby TenantNet » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:01 pm

First, a "verbal lease" or "oral lease" isn't worth much. There are instances where handshake agreements work out OK, but in my experience, those are usually in small towns, with landlords that live on-site or nearby, and are only month-to-month agreements. A lease defines the obligations and benefits of both parties.

An attorney ought to know better. If he insists, I would walk away.

As for your deposit, I would send him a certified letter laying out the facts and asking for the money back within 2 weeks. If he doesn't, then I would rush right over to the NYS Attorney General's office. And since he's an attorney, you can also complain at the Bar Association. http://www.nysba.org/professionalstandards/
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion