TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

question - rent control

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

question - rent control

Postby johnmoore » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:10 pm

My friend lives in an apartment in which the previous tenant was rent controlled. He is paying month to month with no lease. Currently the landlord wants to evict him. Now the rules say that after becoming decontrolled, a former rent control apartment in a building of more than 6 units becomes rent stabilized.

My question is:
MUST the landlord offer my friend a rent stabilized lease with all the rights that are entailed within?
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:01 pm

Postby ronin » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:10 pm

Yes. Your friend should go immediately to the DHCR and file a complaint about being denied a lease.
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2002 2:01 am

Postby concord » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:02 am

Your friend should also ask the DHCR what happens to the rent.

That is, how is the new stabilized rental amount to be calculated? Can the LL just raise it to any dollar amount he wishes to? Must the new rental amount be calculated based upon rentals being charged for similar apartments in the building?
Posts: 377
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 3:40 pm

Postby ronin » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:17 am

The stabilized rent is calculated from the Rent Controlled rent plus the vacancy allowance and "renovations" if I remember correctly.
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2002 2:01 am

Return to NYC General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests