Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Security Deposit

Posted by Joan R on September 22, 2000 at 13:59:22:

Received written notice that they are withholding $248 of our security deposit for damages. In order to get rest of deposit they want our signature on paper agreeing to this. We think that most of the damage was ordinary wear and tear so would like to fight this. Husband thinks we should send signed paper back with note that we are protesting the damage and they will be hearing further from us. Should we do this? Examples of damage are replacing 3 aluminum window blinds that were slightly bent in one area due to opening the windows(3/$180)and replacing 4 stove top grates which burned because the top of the stove was used for cooking (4/$48). When checking out we did sign that the damage was there but had no idea they would be replacing the items at our expense - if they actually did replace them. We lived in a large apartment and townhouse complex in Suffolk County on Long Island - approximately 300 apts and 100 townhouses - which was 2 years old when we moved out. The $248 is only a small portion of our security deposit but it seems ridiculous to pay it for just living day to day in the apartment. The rest of the deposit is for leaving two small stick-on hooks on both bathroom doors ($50). I thought we were doing the next tenant a favor by leaving them up but I guess not. Any advice you can give me would be appreciated.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name