Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Dangerous Neighbor

Posted by Jay Wilson on October 27, 2000 at 18:03:23:

Help!

I live in a 3BR walkup on the Upper East Side. Have lived there for 4+ years, and the other two roomates have been there for 6+ years.

i'll keep this as short as possible. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

About 3 years ago, a neighbor moved into the apartment across the hall, and was immediately belligerant to the other tenants on the floor. He slams the door EXTREMELY loudly at all hours of the day...loud enough to make the walls literally shake. He has a Rottweiler that has come close to attacking other tenants on several occasions. This morning, he pulled a knife on my roomate and threatened to "shoot every one of us". The police came and arrested him for menacing. I'm sure he's back home already.

This has been going on for three years. The knife incident is a new high, though, and has all of us literally fearing for our lives.

We have written letters to the landlord for three years. We have attempted to talk to this man and his family, only to be cursed at and threatened. This morning was the FIFTH time the police have been called, and the first time that he has been charged.

What can we do? Any advice. At this point, I'm thinking the only solution is to move. Are there any regulations that allow a landlord to evict because a tenant is causing a dangerous environment? Should we place rent in escrow until the landlord takes some kind of action?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jay

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name