Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Landlord Hasn't Paid

Posted by Kelly on February 11, 2001 at 18:26:18:

I live in a very old house,when my husband and I moved in we had a verble agreement with our landlord that we would do the repairs on the house in exchange for the rent,the house was in very bad condition unlivable,so we did most of the work before we moved in the deal was that he would provide the materials and we'd provide the labor.The first months rent rolled around and we were informed that we would have to pay the rent so they could track the rent for thier creditors and they would re-emberse us the money.Well the first time I sent them a bill for the work they shoted me $216.75 and we are charging them very cheap by the way because my husband does bldg.restoration for a living, the second time I sent them a bill they paid the bill in full but still owed the previous balance now I have sent them another bill for a new balance, it's been since Dec.of 2000 and the still haven't paid!I've sent letters, e-mails,and phone calls,they just keep saying the check is in the mail but I've recieved nothing what I would like to know is can I deduct what they owe me from my rent legally?Oh by the way they raised my rent an extra $100.00 on the first of the year.My rent is now $750.00 a month and they owe me$800.00 plus previous balance of$216.75 and the work we did was estimated at $2500.00 but we only charged them $800.00 as a kind jester because we live here.Please tell me what I can do.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name