Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: pet deposit transferrable to new owner of property??

Posted by Provost on July 15, 2001 at 18:45:54:

In Reply to: pet deposit transferrable to new owner of property?? posted by Betty on July 15, 2001 at 13:07:11:

A "non-refundable" deposit ? A deposit is by definition refundable, what you paid sounds like just a fee for having a pet. Which is probably why it didn't transfer to the new owner of the building. In any case, read your lease and any other documents you have, any terms of the 'deposit' should be spelled out there.

: I live in Denton, Texas. I signed a one year lease last August in a 4 unit condo-type building. Paid a security deposit, along with a $200 non-refundable pet deposit. A few months ago, the property was sold. The new owner received my security deposit from the previous owner, but not the pet deposit. A new tenant with a dog just moved in to the unit next to mine and they were not required to put down a pet deposit. My question is this: Whenever I do move out, how can I prevent the new owner from deducting money from my security deposit because I have a pet in the apartment? Since I had already paid $200 to cover that, and I knew I wouldn't get that back from the original lease, how can I make sure that won't happen a year or two from now when I move? If a pet deposit is no longer required, then shouldn't I be refunded the $200 from the original owner? Thank you!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name