Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Noise problems

Posted by kaybear on October 11, 2001 at 11:25:41:

In Reply to: Re: Noise problems posted by Lilly on October 11, 2001 at 08:40:46:

I'm currently experience an eerily similar situation. I wish I'd gotten Lilly's advice as it did occur to me that this is exactly the right thing to do. I would suggest sending a certified letter asking as nicely and respectfully as you can muster for her to keep her noise done and give her fair warning that you will be contacting civic authorities. You can't just call 911 about something like this. They'll only refer you to the Quality of Life Hotline (one of the bonuses of the Giuilani administration). You can lodge a complaint with the Quality of Life Hotline, they'll send out a warning letter to your neigbor. After the third complaint, they will contact your local precinct and it will eventually, and I stress eventually, result in a police coming out to investigate. It's a long process, but be patient and take some comfort in knowing that the law is on your side. good luck.

: You are entitled to the "quiet enjoyment" of your apartment. If you have not yet kept a log of the disturbances, start now; write the dates, times and what the noise is. Get a decent tape recorder that is voice activated-one that will start recording when the noise starts. Anything after 11pm is totally unacceptable. Also, don't hesitate to call the police. Send all correspondence to LL by certified mail, return receipt. Detail dates and times of the noise. Send letters (certified) to the tenant. Finally, after about a month, if despite your letters LL again does nothing, then it can now be considered to be permitting a nuisance (the noise) something that interfers with your quiet enjoyment of your apartment; it can also now be argued that since LL knows about this and has CHOSEN not to act, it rises to the level of harassment-a course of conduct designed to force you to vacate your apartment. Since LL knows about the noise and yet does nothing, in my humble opinion, its as if he's doing it himself. Lastly, file for a rent reduction with DHCR.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name