Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Rent in cash and other questions

Posted by Amina on December 03, 2001 at 20:07:09:

1.I have been living in a Brooklyn rent-stabilized apt. since April 2001 in a 6 unit building. The landlord insists that I pay my rent in cash. She says she does that because she does not want a check to bounce. I have been complying but it would be much more convenient and safe for me to pay by check. Do I have the right to challenge this?

2.Also there are additional "rules" attached to the lease that say I cannot hang paintings on the walls (no nails or glued objects on walls) and "making parties" is forbidden. I had to sign this list because I desperately needed an afforable place to live when I moved in. I would like to hang up some paintings as my best friend is a painter, I would also like to invite people over, but I am afraid to out of fear of eviction. Are these rules legal and would they take me to court over this?

3. I am a single person living alone but I have been accused of using the most water in the building and have been harrassed while washing dishes bec. the running water was heard by the landlord. Could they be reading the water meter improperly? (I live on the first floor.) I was threatened with non-renewal of my lease over this. Is this grounds for non-renewal? My faucet was replaced last week for a faucet that runs less water. But now I am feeling intimadated over washing the dishes and I am now timing myself!

Sorry this has gone on for so long but I just found this message board. Thanks for any info.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name