Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: small dogs and cooperative landlords

Posted by Landlord Responce on January 21, 1998 at 21:10:21:

In Reply to: small dogs and cooperative landlords posted by Rebecca Wait on January 19, 1998 at 14:13:14:

If it helps, let me tell you why I don’t allow dogs in my apartments anymore. (If Ms. Tenant.net does not delete my post as she/he has done before).

Last year, I let two new tenants (a couple in one apartment, a student in the other) have small dogs in their apartments. In both cases, they swore to me their dog was the best dog ever. It never barked, was very well behaved, went to obedience classes. They both promised me they would clean up after the dog, and would make sure it did not use the property as a dog toilet. They signed an addendum to both of their rental agreements testifying to all of the above. I happen to live in this particular building, which I enjoy, so it was important to me.

In the case of the first tenant, a young law student, the dog barks whenever there is a guest in the foyer, a squirrel on the lawn, a bird in a tree. Whenever I have guests, (I live across the hall), the dog barks as long as it hears voices. The dog is female, so when it is menstruating, it leaves holes in the once beautiful lawn, where it relieves itself. It is a long hair (Husky type) and actually leaves enough black hair in the stairway to fill a sandwich bag every week (I collect it in case I ever have the time and inclination to evict her). The dog actually smells so bad, that we have to use ammonia based cleaners every week to cleanse the halls, so your eyes dont water as you enter the building.

In the second case, on top of the barking, the dog had scratched holes in all the screens, and the tenant (who has now vacated) actually claimed the holes were already there. They did not realize I took photos, which I always take before I rent an apartment. The holes are distinctly scratches and very obviously caused by an animal from the inside. I am in a rent controlled city, so for me to address this issue is a very difficult ordeal, since the legal climate is so one sided. I had to wait until the tenant left, and deduct it out of their security deposit.

I hope you understand, these two have ruined it for any other well meaning tenants, like yourself, who wish to have a dog in any of my apartments. I like animals, and I like happy tenants, but two bad apples....

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name